- topics on MOOC forums,
- automatic summarization of scientific documents such as scholarly aritcles in journals.
- Juyong An, Namhee Kim, Min-Yen Kan, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min Song (2016).
"Exploring Characteristics of Highly Cited Authors according to Citation Location and Content." Accepted for publication in Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology.
- Philip S Cho, Huy Hoang Nhat Do, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min-Yen Kan
(2013, June). "Identifying research facilitators in an emerging Asian Research Area."
Scientometrics, 97. Springer.
- Kokil Jaidka, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Sajal Rustagi, and Min-Yen Kan (2016).
"Overview of the CL-SciSumm 2016 Shared Task",
In Proceedings of the Joint Workshop on Bibliometric-enhanced Information Retrieval and Natural Language Processing for Digital Libraries (BIRNDL 2016), Newark, New Jersey, USA, pp. 93-102, CEUR.
[Download PDF with preliminary results] [The CL-Scisumm Corpus]
- Guillaume Cabanac, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Ingo Frommholz, Kokil Jaidka, Min-Yen Kan, Philipp Mayr, Dietmar Wolfram (2016). "Joint Workshop on Bibliometric-enhanced Information Retrieval and Natural Language Processing for Digital Libraries (BIRNDL 2016)", In Proceedings of the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2016), Newark, New Jersey, USA, 299-300. ACM.
[Download preprint PDF]
- Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Carrie Demmans Epp, Min-Yen Kan, Diane Litman (2017).
"Using Discourse Signals for Robust Instructor Intervention Prediction". In
Proceedings of the Thirty-First AAAI conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-17), San Francisco, USA, 3415-3421, AAAI.
[Download PDF] [Download poster PDF] [Code]
- Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min-Yen Kan, Bernard C.Y. Tan, Kiruthika Ragupathi (2015).
"Learning instructor intervention from MOOC forums: Early Results and Issues". In
Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Education Data Mining (EDM) 2015, Madrid, Spain, 218-225, IEDMS.
[Download PDF] [Slides of my talk at EDM 2015] [Code]
- Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Kiruthika Ragupathi, Min-Yen Kan, Bernard C.Y. Tan (2015).
"Towards feasible instructor intervention in MOOC discussion forums". In Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (2015), Fort Worth, USA. (Research-in-progress track)
[Download preprint PDF]
- Kang Hong Jin, Tao Chen, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min-Yen Kan (2016).
"A Comparison of Word Embeddings for English and Cross-Lingual Chinese Word Sense Disambiguation". To appear in
Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Natural Language Processing Techniques for Educational Applications (NLP-TEA-3), Osaka, Japan.
[Download preprint PDF] [Download Corpus]
Hong Jin Kang, Tao Chen and I were awarded the VaSCo funding by NUS for this phase of the WordNews project.
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min-Yen Kan, Wee Sun Lee (2015).
"Scholarly Document Information Extraction using Extensible Features for Efficient Higher Order Semi-CRFs."
In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE 15th Joint Conference on Digital
Libraries, Knoxvile, USA (JCDL '15), 61-64, ACM.
[Download PDF] [Talk Video] [Slides from Prof Kan's talk] at JCDL '15.
- Tao Chen, Naijia Zheng, Yue Zhao, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Min-Yen Kan (2015).
"Interactive Second Language Learning from News Websites". In Proceedings of The 2nd Workshop on Natural Language Processing Techniques for Educational Applications (NLP-TEA-2), pages 34-42, Beijing, China. ACL.
[Download Preprint PDF] [System Demo Video] [Project Website] [Google Chrome extension: WordNews].
- Kokil Jaidka, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Rahul Jha, Christopher Jones, Min-Yen Kan, Ankur Khanna, Diego Molla-Aliod,
Dragomir R. Radev, Francesco Ronzano and Horacio Saggion (2015).
"The Computational Linguistics Summarization Pilot Task."
To appear in Proceedings of Text Analysis Conference (TAC 2014), USA.
[Download Data / Corpus] [Slides of my talk at NIST, Maryland, USA]
- Hoang Nhat Huy Do, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran, Philip S Cho, Min-Yen Kan (2013).
"Extracting and Matching Authors and Affiliations in Scholarly Documents."
In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE 13th Joint Conference on Digital
Libraries, Indianapolis, USA (JCDL '13). ACM.
[Download PDF]   [Slides] from Dr. Kan's talk at JCDL '13.
- Prof. Bernard C.Y. Tan, Dept. of Information Systems, SoC, NUS, Singapore
- Prof. Diane J. Litman, University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Dr. Carrie Demmans Epp, University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Dr. Kokil Jaidka, University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Kiruthika Ragupathi, Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning, NUS, Singapore
- Organising Committee member of BIRNDL, 2017 workshop and the CL-SciSumm 2017 Shared Task @SIGIR, Tokyo, Japan.
- Program Committee member of ACL, 2017
- Organising Committee member of BIRNDL, 2016 workshop and the CL-SciSumm 2016 Shared Task @JCDL, Rutgers, NJ, USA.
- Program Committee member of EMNLP, 2016.
- Editorial Board member of IJDL special issue on Bibliometric - Enhanced Information Retrieval and Natural Language Processing for Digital Libraries.
- Program Committee member of Bibliometric - Enhanced Information Retrieval, 2017 @ECIR 2017.
- Organising Committee member of CL-Summ 2014 pilot shared task held as part of Text Analysis Conference (TAC) @NIST, MD, USA.
- ParsCit/Enlil: Parses citation strings, recovers logical structure and metadata of scholarly documents such as articles in a scientific journal. Besides research groups this software is also used by commercial players like Mendeley.
- Huluppu.net: A non-profit social network analytics platform.
- Research Assistant - Apr, 2012 to Dec, 2013
- Developed a set of metrics to measure research facilitation via coauthorships.
- Developed research prototypes for this research project investigated by Dr. Philip S Cho and Dr. Min-Yen Kan.
- Application Software Developer - Feb, 2010 to Dec, 2011 Developed and maintained financial payment systems for US corporate clients in healthcare at Tata Consultancy Services, India.
I am a fourth year Ph.D. student at NUS SoC advised by A/P Min-Yen Kan (Dr.).
My current interests are in:
My broader interests are in:
Information retrieval (IR), Natural language processing (NLP) for IR,
NLP tasks involving inference across phrases, sentences and other similar higher level structures,
Statistical machine learning, Network analysis.
Previously, I graduated from my master's from NUS. My master's research on network analysis titled "Impact of migration on co-authorship networks" was jointly advised by Prof. Min-Yen Kan and Prof. Philip S Cho.
Much of current MOOC research is non-reproducibile due to non-sharability of research corpora in public. To address this challenge we, at NUS, are leading efforts to set up a data sharing consortium. If you are from a university running Coursera MOOCs we welcome you to join our effort. More on this here.
Scientific Document Summarisation Corpus [Download Corpus]
This is an open repository for Scientific Document Summarization. Want to contribute? Write to us.
Update! CLScisumm-17 will be colocated with SIGIR '17! See you in Tokyo!
We hosted the 2nd edition of the CLSumm Shared Task with a lot more data than last time. We co-organised the BIRNDL workshop @ JCDL2016 of which the shared task was a part. Workshop proceedings is now online here.
A related IJDL special issue is in the works!
In Conference Proceedings
Current Collaborators (in no particular order)
Tutor for CS 2103 - Software Engineering, Semester 1, Academic Year 2016-17
Tutor for CS 2103 - Software Engineering, Semester 2, Academic Year 2016-17
Past Research Project
I have also contributed to the development of:
Professional Work Experience (3.5 years)
I mainly code in Perl and Java.
Our Open source library, lib4MOOCdata, for processing MOOC data dumps.
During my days as an application software developer I had designed relational databases, stored procedures on Oracle DBMS to optimally process large data volumes for critical business requirements.